Two different contractors recommended the same fix: Jack up the roof, detach the carport support posts, take off the top row of bricks, and, using cement for mortar, re-lay the bricks level, then sit the posts right back down on the wall.
That would indeed be a quick fix, but I wasn't happy with it. It seemed to me a temporary fix, because the roof load would still be on the brick veneer, and over time it might settle some more.
I decided to remedy it by transferring some of the post load into the slab. I jacked up the roof a couple of inches, removed the top row of bricks, then built forms to pour concrete pads that would sit on top of the brick veneer. I drilled holes into the slab to receive half-inch reinforcement rods that tied the pads and slab together.
That way if there's any more settling, everything will move as a one unit. The job was completed several months ago, and we've had a lot of rain, and nothing has budged.
This picture shows the top row of bricks removed, and some digging I did to make room for a form for the concrete pad:
Here, the form is in place:
Here's a look inside the form at the reinforcement bars. They tie the pad to the slab and to the brick veneer wall. You can also see some of my redundant jacks and temporary supports holding up the roof. Having so many supports was overkill, but I wanted no surprises while I did the work:
The concrete has been poured
I went ahead and did the same for the middle post on the carport. The bricks are removed here, holes drilled, and the reinforcement rod in place:
The form in place for the pad for the middle post:
Middle pad poured:
The form removed from the corner post, the pad is complete:
Here's a look down the length of the wall showing both pads:
Another look, with forms removed and bricks replaced. I finished the mortar and cleanup later, as the mortar joint between the carport slab and the brick needed repointing for its whole length. Incidentally, the sprayer you see in the picture was used to wet the slab before pouring the pads, so the slab wouldn't pull the moisture out of the wet cement too quickly. After I jacked the roof back down onto the pads, I anchored the posts to the new pads with self-tapping concrete screws .